Jun 23, 2014

Jock River Run

Loaded up the kayak and went for an early morning run on the Jock River.  The goal was to get pictures of the Ospreys (Success), Turtles (Success), Frogs (Success), Herons ( none to be seen ) and any other critters around.   This is a great spot.   Also a good chance to exercise the XF 55-200mm and X-T1 from the kayak.   Glad I got out early (7am) as the light was getting harsh very quickly.

Mom, Dad and the Kids


This turned into a "how aggressive can I crop with the X-Trans?".   Turns out you can be pretty damn aggressive.   Most of these are from the jpg's (why bother messing around with the raw's to get them just to look like the jpg's), big crops done to them, some black and contrast added and shadows lightened to pull out some detail if needed.    These Ospreys are up on a 60ft platform but from the angle I need to get pictures I must be at least 300ft away.  So if you apply the Pythagorean theorem, oh the hell with that I failed geometry anyhow, I was a long way away! :-)    How about a 400mm prime there Fuji?  lol.  Couldn't afford one even if they did exist.


Dead calm morning but already at 7am the sun was starting to get bright.



My launch spot, can't ask for much better.





She started crying out as soon as I came around the corner.  At this point I couldn't see the chicks and dad was nowhere to be seen.



Dad showed up when I was paddling so missed the shot.  He brought a fish home for the family, she's about to start ripping it apart.



and with fish on the menu, up pop the kids.

  




Maybe I'm starting to look like lunch?


After that final stare, I headed down the river.




Finally found the turtles :-)



Check out he big deer fly on the shell of the guy on the right.  Good luck biting through that ya little bugger.





"Let me tell you about the way I walk!"


Mr Attitude



He can't see me right?


Get this damn bug off me please!

No comments:

Post a Comment