Dec 17, 2010

Webcams of the World

It baffles me how much I dislike winter yet I continually dream and long for the arctic and antarctic.  It's just strange.  Every morning I moan about having to put on the jackets, the boots, the hat, gloves and go out and clean the truck off and shovel the deck.  Yet I long for another trip into the north.   I guess up there it just feels more natural?   Ottawa is +30C in the summer and -30C in the winter.   One extreme to the next.

So I find myself leafing through my exploration books, looking at pictures of the Ernest Shackleton expedition ( photos by Frank Hurley who in my opinion is one of the best photographers ever ), Roald Amundsen, and Sir Robert Scott.   And that's just the Antarctic stuff, then there is all my arctic books on Greely, Amundsen, Nanson etc etc....   It's been 2  years since my last trek into the arctic so I must be having withdrawals or something ;-)   How can someone who dislikes winter want to travel north so bad?

But anyhow, I'm sure a few of you are shaking your heads, but I thought maybe I'd share a few links that I check from time to time to get my "fix".    These are webcams of various locations around the Antarctic.  Some only update daily while others update every few minutes.   Some show the south pole station while others show penguins.   Regardless, enjoy, I know I do ;-)

The actual Amundsen-Scott Station located at the South Pole.

A collection of British station webcams, including some on board 2 icebreakers.

Some Australian Antarctic stations:
A collection of Penguin Cams:

And a couple of non-arctic ones that I love!
    • A collection of Nova Scotia webcams that include the South Shore, Bay of Fundy, Halifax and Cape Breton.  Make sure to watch the Armdale Rotary at rush hour during a snowstorm
    • And the one that got me into webcams, a series of Webcams on the Panama Canal.  Watch the ships coming and going - way cool!

Hope everyone has a great weekend.  Christmas shopping is mostly done and Jen and I are just chilling on the farm watching movies and staying warm.  Have a great one everyone!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, thanks for pulling together all these links. I spent some time viewing them -- amazing!

    I remember those images you took when you were up in Alert -- they were gorgeous Scott. Maybe you have an affinity for those climates. (And I know what you mean about the extreme temp differences here; hard to adjust some years.)

    ReplyDelete